Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish from Rome made with egg, hard cheese, guanciale, and pepper. Spaghetti carbonara should be made with guanciale but may be replaced with pancetta. The egg and cheese sauce coats the pasta making it spaghetti carbonara a delectable dish.
Traditionally, pecorino cheese can used but you can use parmesan reggiano cheese. For instance, the two cheeses mixed together accompany more flavors. Therefore, this recipe is an easy spaghetti carbonara. The recipe only features four ingredients.
Spaghetti carbonara ingredients are just cheese, egg, pasta, and pancetta. Hence, I do not use heavy cream as it is not used traditionally. The combination of the egg and cheese creates the sauce. Along with a bit of the pasta water. Additionally, the smoky flavor of the pancetta builds flavor.
Creamy Carbonara is in the top 10 of all time favorite pasta dishes. Hence, the ease of making this pasta is great for a fast weeknight dinner. Carbonara is the perfect crowd pleaser for plenty of guests at a dinner party.
Furthermore, this creamy pasta dish is budget friendly. Additionally, bacon as a substitute for the pancetta can be used. I put the pasta on then cook the pancetta. Whisking the eggs and cheese while the pasta cooks. Lastly, this cuts down on preparation time.Print
Creamy spaghetti carbonara in an egg and cheese sauce.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup parmesan reggiano; (more for topping)
- 16 oz spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 lb pancetta; diced
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- Place pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Cook pasta as directed on the box. Do not strain or drain.
- Place diced pancetta into a saute pan. Cook on medium low heat until pancetta is crispy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and parmesan cheese.
- With tongs pull noodles from the sauce pan and add them to the saute pan with the pancetta. Do this in group until all the pasta is in the saute pan.
- Add about 1/2 cup of pasta water to the saute pan. This helps make the sauce creamy from the starchy water.
- Pour in egg mixture and toss with tongs until well coated. If the sauce is to thick add more pasta water.
- Serve topped with parmesan and cracked black pepper.
Keywords: Spaghetti Carbonara, Pasta
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!