Mardi Gras season is the season of parades, beads, and plenty of fun. Let the good times roll with these Mardi Gras Jello Shots. Using clear jello and food coloring these jello shots take on the flavor of the liquor that’s used.
For these jello shots we used clear gelatin with food gel in gold, purple, and green. Flavored with coconut rum, silver rum, and cinnamon infused rum. The taste resembles a king cake with a coconut twist.
The first layer is the cinnamon layer. We take the silver rum and let a cinnamon stick set in it for a few days. Overnight works but the longer the cinnamon sets in the rum the more the cinnamon flavor is infused.
After infusing the cinnamon into the rum we mix the rum with water and clear gelatin to create the first gold layer. Then we mix in some gold food gel and let it sit in the fridge into order to set that layer.
The next layer is the green layer in which we use a silver rum in. Mix it with the clear gelatin, green food gel, and some good silver rum. This is the in between layer so we don’t want too much flavor from it.
Pour the green layer on top of the gold set layer. Place in the fridge and let it sit till it’s set. I check to see if it’set by shaking the cups lightly. If the jello moves too much it’s not set enough to add the next layer.
The last layer is the purple layer. We use a coconut rum in this layer with purple food gel and clear gelatin with water. If your not a fan of coconut a buttered rum is also a good choice for this top layer.
The Toppings for the mardi gras jello shots:
Pour in the purple layer and let it set up in the fridge. Once the jello is set top it with a little whipped topping and cinnamon. The idea is that when you get to each layer they will mimic the taste of king cake. Either way you’ll have a really fun and tasty jello shot.Print
Purple, green, and gold jello shots with different liquors.
- 3 – 4 packs of clear gelatin (16 total)
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut rum
- 1/2 cup silver rum
- 1/2 cup cinnamon infused rum (see notes)
- 1 drop purple food gel
- 1 drop green food gel
- 2 drops gold food gel
- whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Boil water as directed for each pack of clear gelatin.
- Set out three bowls. Do each bowl after each layer sets. Don’t add to all three bowls at once. The gold layer will need to set first and so on. Add 1/2 cup cold water to each. In one bowl add 1/2 cup coconut rum. Another bowl add 1/2 cup silver rum. Last bowl add 1/2 cup cinnamon infused rum.
- Add 1 cup hot water to each bowl and whisk well. In the cinnamon bowl add gold food gel. In the silver rum bowl add green food gel. In the cinnamon infused rum layer at purple food gel. Whisk well.
- Pour the gold layer into the cups about 1/3 way up the cup. Set in fridge till it sets about two hours. Make the next color green. Pour in about 1/3 and let set in fridge till solid. Repeat for the purple layer.
- Once the purple layer has set top with whipped topping and cinnamon.
Take the rum at least 24 hours before and set some cinnamon sticks in it. The cinnamon flavor will infuse. You can also buy cinnamon rum but we like to infuse the silver rum with cinnamon then use it.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mardi Gras Jello Shots