Honestly, when it comes to take out Chinese I almost always order Pepper Beef or Mongolian Beef. The flavor combination of the beef, sauce, and peppers are just to die for. If you didn’t know my favorite food is Chinese and second it’s either Czech or Italian (it’s a constant battle). This is Instant Pot Pepper Beef is born from the want to eat take out all the time. Similarly, to also save time on cooking when I do make it at home.
Instant Pot Pepper Beef made in the instant pot saves you from standing at the stove stir frying the meat and vegetables. Additionally, the meat in the instant pot comes out tender from the pressure. Hence the one thing you don’t want to do is add your sauce before you pressure cook. Seriously, it will be a huge runny mess.
The idea is to go for a sticky sauce on the beef. Now, your going to ask but what about the liquid and here is my answer just a tad of water and soy sauce equal your one cup. Furthermore, when the vegetables go in the pot they won’t even need to be pressure cooked.
Additionally, the bell pepper cooks in just minutes on saute mode and then just add the sauce to thicken once the pot is already hot. Yes, it might stick some with the stainless steel insert. To be honest, I’ve been planning to buy the non stick insert for occasions like this when food might stick. Consequently, I know some of you may not like the non stick because of chemicals. However, I am just not that picky. Therefore cleaning stainless steel can be such a pain!
Certainly, when it comes to take out I try to get it to taste almost exactly like the local shop down the street. I really do hope you enjoy my recipe and start making your own take out at home!Print
- 1 lb stir fry beef (or skirt steak)
- 1 red bell pepper; quartered
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 green bell pepper; quartered
- 1 bundle spring onion; quartered
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Chop bell peppers and spring onions. Set aside.
- Place beef into the instant pot with 3/4 cup water and one tablespoon soy sauce. Set to high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting release the pressure after 5 minutes via quick release.
- Drain juice from beef.
- Mix together brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and hoisin sauce. Stir well.
- Add bell peppers and spring onions to the instant pot and place the pot on saute mode. Stir fry vegetables for about 3 minutes with the beef.
- Pour in sauce and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until it caramelizes around the beef.
- Serve with steamed white rice with chives from the spring onions.
To make gluten free – use gluten free soy sauce
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Chinese