Love this Baja Chicken Soup! It is completely simple to make. It comes together quick on a week night when I really don’t feel like cooking. Yes, I do have those days when cooking or even moving from my bed is a issue. Now and again I cook from cans. It’s one of those deals that I only keep certain canned food in the house. Tomatoes, beans, and corn are alright in my book coming from a can. You won’t find much else canned in my house. Maybe spinach for a quick side dish; the kids like it.
If allowed I would add spring onions and avocado to every dish. Fresh spring onions just have a mountain of flavor that I love. Avocado is just a fruit I grew up eating in California. It’s my nature to gravitate towards it. What’s great about baja chicken soup is it’s perfect for spring. It’s not a heavy soup which allows it function well during the non wintry season. What spring and summer soups do you like to make?
I always love chicken in my soup but I am not a real fan of ground beef in soups. To me ground beef belongs in a goulash or maybe a stew. Do you like ground beef in soups?
As I am writing this post the news is coming across that there is a Tornado warning at the Daytona 500. I hope everyone is safe. I remember the year we had tornado warnings at Texas Motor Speedway. We sat in the lot waiting and listening to the scanner as they talked about what to do in case it did it. Some of the chatter was actually pretty funny.
I do have excited news. I finally got a new car. I am hoping to do a post soon all about it. The guys at the other half’s work where we got the car want me to bring them some food. What would you bring a shop full of guys and some sales men to eat? Cupcakes maybe? Anywho, here is the recipe for the soup. Hope all of you enjoy it; I did!
ITEMS TO MAKE BAJA CHICKEN SOUP
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast; baked
- 1 small white onion; diced
- 1 large anaheim pepper; ribs removes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 48 oz. chicken stock
- 3 cloves of garlic; minced
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can black beans; drained
- 1 can whole sweet corn; drained
- 3 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ bushel of cilantro; chopped
- 1 large avocado; sliced into moon shaped slices
- 2 spring onions; sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake chicken for one hour. It will cook more in pot so if it is a bit pink it's fine.
- In a large pot, add in anaheim peppers, garlic and white onion with one tablespoon olive oil and cook over medium high heat. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add in chicken with cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Stir well. Add in chicken broth. Stir and add in corn, black beans, and fire roasted tomatoes. Stir well combining all ingredients. Add 3 to 4 cups water depending on desired broth amount. Add in cilantro but reserve some for garnish. Add juice of half a lime. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slice avocados and spring onions. Salt and pepper soup to taste. Serve topped with fresh cilantro, avocados, and spring onions.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links by Amazon. If you purchase a product from one of our links, we could receive a commission from the seller. Rest assured, we only recommend products we believe in, and all opinions are 100% truthful.