Did I ever mention how much I love my Lodge skillet? It’s the easiest way for me to fry up meat or bake cornbread. I just love making quick skillet dinners in it too. The meat cooks evenly and fast. In this Texas humidity recipes can get very unruly fairly fast. The skillet heat equally and allows for a good even cooking even when you are dealing with horrible humidity. This is a simple skillet dinner called Tex Mex Pasta Skillet that I make on weeknight when I just don’t have the time to stand in the kitchen for a long period of time.
We all have those days. Whether it is running the kids, or in my case teenagers, to school and back. High tailing the other ones to work. Or even the plenty of football games and competitions. In fact, we tend to eat out often during this season and we all have said how much we have missed those home cooked meals. In two nights, we put this little Tex Mex Pasta Skillet and a 15 bean soup that is headed to the blog also.
It takes minimal ingredients so it’s easy for your teenager to be able to make on their own. Also completely budget friendly. It’s loaded with flavor but doesn’t come from using your entire spice cabinet to get there. You can control the level of heat too by which style of Rotel you buy. I usually get the medium heat and then add some fresh cracked pepper. I like spicy foods though! I also top my with a bunch of yummy cheese. Some times sharp cheddar cheese or sometimes a good colby jack cheese. Below is a quick video showing how I put this together so quick and easy. The skillet cuts my meat cooking time down by at least 10 minutes.
Chili and rotel mixed with ground beef, onions, and garlic topped over garden rotini pasta.
- 1 –10 oz can Rotel
- 1 – 15 oz can Wolf Chili
- ½ pound ground beef
- cheese for topping; optional
- 1 lb bag garden rotini pasta
- 1 white onion; diced
- 4 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracker black pepper
- Fill large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- In a cast iron skillet (or skillet), pour one tablespoon olive oil, add onions and garlic. Saute on medium heat. Add in ground beef and cook until browned.
- Place pasta in water and cook as directed on the package.
- Add in one can of Rotel and one can of Wolf Chili No Beans. Cook on low for 5 minutes. Once pasta is done, drain pasta, and add it to the skillet. Mix well.
- You can top with cheese, spring onions, or sour cream.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American