When the Summer season is upon us it is just too hot to cook indoors. Though when your grill tank is out that perceives to be a problem. The quickest meals to make with less effort and money is pesto. Very few ingredients, hardly no heat, and super quick to throw together. The only thing I suggest is owning a food processor. If you don’t have one your so missing out! These guys can whip up a quick pesto to a delicious dressing to a super spicy salsa in seconds! Buy yourself one, you won’t regret it. Either that or ask for one as a gift for your birthday; that’s what I did!
When searching your local market for Sun dried Tomatoes you might find it difficult to get them whole. I hope in the near future I will figure out the drying process of these, but in the meantime, try to find them whole and make sure to drain the oil from them as it adds to much oil to the pesto.
I love a Romano or a Parmesan Reggiano but the cheese is completely up to you on which of the stinky cheeses you like. The strongest of all the suggestions with this recipe is to definitely buy a basil plant and use the basil straight from it. It seriously gives the best flavor when fresh. I never suggest using dried basil in pesto as it offsets the texture completely. Besides, fresh basil smells so good and you can plant the roots to regrow the plant!Print
- 1 container of sun-dried tomatoes; drain oil before use
- 4 cloves of garlic; peeled
- 1 basil plant; pull all leaves
- 1 cup parmesan reggiano or cheese of choice
- olive oil
- 1lb pasta of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, boil water with olive oil and salt. When water is boiling add in pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes depending on pasta. Follow pasta package for detailed instructions.
- In a food processor, add in basil, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. Process for 1 minute until the tomatoes are in small bits. While processing add in olive oil slowly till you get a paste. Be careful not to add to much oil.
- In a large bowl, add drained pasta, reserving a ½ cup of pasta water into bowl with pasta. Add pesto and cheese to pasta and toss. Salt and pepper to taste and serve while hot.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Italian