Did you know that in Japan Kirin is always drank from a glass. They don’t drink it from the bottle. Kirin’s pure, clean taste is the perfect complement to refined traditional Japanese cuisine such as this Spicy Vegan Dragon Rolls, the bold flavors of modern Asian food and other flavor-forward dishes.
One of Japan’s oldest breweries, with a history dating back to 1888. The mythical Kirin Beast is considered a good omen of serenity and prosperity. In Japan, when everyone is ready to drink, they salute by saying “kanpai.” Kirin is a great beer and definitely needs to be served in a glass. It pairs perfectly with an Japanese cuisine especially my favorite sushi.
I always think my beer should match my food. When eating Czech food I look for a good plisner or bock. When it comes to sushi a bock wouldn’t fit at all. Kirin is a perfect match to sushi. but the light version is better and goes well with noodles. We enjoyed Kirin with a few friends and they were surprised at the customs and how well Kirin went with the Spicy Vegan Dragon Roll.
Enjoy Kirin Ichiban in Japan but it is now available in select U.S. locations! Single wort brewing process. All malt formula using only the finest two-row barley malt. European noble hops. A distinctively rich flavor, smooth finish, no bitter aftertaste. For the Spicy Vegan Dragon Roll here is the recipe and how to. Don’t forget it is Japanese tradition to always serve others before yourself. When in doubt fill their beer first then yours.
Spicy Vegan Dragon Roll
Yield 3 Rolls
Cucumber and avocado filled sushi topped with avocado and served with Kirin.
- 1½ cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 large avocado; cut horizontal thin pieces
- 1 cucumber; cut vertical long pieces
- 3 sheets of sushi nori
- 1 -2 tablespoons chili sauce
- Few drops of wasabi
- In a sauce pan, add rice and water. Bring to a low boil and then lower heat and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is done. Cool rice.
- Take your bamboo sushi roller mat and layer it with plastic wrap. Place sushi nori flat on plastic wrap. Layer with rice on one half side of back. Flip over sushi nori with rice to where the rice is facing down onto the plastic wrap. Place 2 strips of cucumber and a few slices avocado inside. Using the roller, roll sushi forward and use roller to tighten the roll. Roll again and then tighten.
- Layer avocado slices over the top and top with plastic wrap. Tighten again. Leaving plastic wrap in place slice into sections. Remove plastic wrap and serve with a side of chili sauce and wasabi.
Serve with ice cold Kirin in a glass.
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!