One of my sons’ friends is totally gluten free. In our house, that is something new because we eat whatever we please. When I know he is coming over I try to plan for it. He isn’t gluten free by choice; he is because of the severe headaches it causes him. This is a recent recipe we made when he visited. Firecracker Chicken comes with a simple sauce made from ingredients you should already have on hand in your fridge door.
I paired it with rice and spring onions for a summer feel. It’s almost like take out for them. They were having a TV series marathon of Supernatural. One show we all enjoy around here. I am the only one about two episodes behind on season 9. Season 10 will be the end coming this Fall. Oh so sad!
This meal can easily be made in half the time without the frying so you don’t have to break from the TV series marathon for long. I like to make this in my stir fry pot. It’s on the spicy side with the ability to control the heat in this dish. Just add more hot sauce or less to when making this dish.
The only thing I need now is some take out boxes for our next picnic. This is good hot and cold. Just have to eat it the same day though! Luckily, this was a hit with all of the boys and the daughter. It’s similar to my bourbon chicken which I cook without frying also even though my recipe here shows it fried. I just skip the frying step. That reminds me I need to do some red beans and rice this week. Sounds so darn good! I always crave Cajun in the summer. What do you crave?
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic; diced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Chili sauce with red pepper
- 2 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 stalk green spring onion; diced
- In a large skillet or stir fry pan, add in olive oil and garlic. Cook over low heat about 30 seconds. Add in diced chicken. Cook chicken on high heat until lightly brown on outside.
- Add apple cider vinegar, Louisiana hot sauce, and chili sauce. Toss chicken in sauce well. Fold in brown sugar over chicken with sauce mixture. Let cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Add in ketchup, salt and pepper. Stir chicken well and cook another 20 minutes on a low heat. Stir occasionally. The sauce will start to thicken. Once the sauce is thick turn off heat and serve with rice and spring onions.