After a visit to the hospital many years ago I became a vegetarian do to some serious stomach issues. Years went by and a return to eating meat. This Mushroom Goulash is a great dinner for vegetarians.
I can admit I love bacon but I am not an eat meat everyday person. However, my husband is. Over a week ago, my husband decided to go vegetarian with me; well pescatarian. He loves fish and I thought that maybe if he can do this he will eat healthier over all. So, I made this mushroom goulash.
He is a potato is a vegetable type of guy. To my surprise he has done very well and has found he likes other things not just meat and potatoes. I decided to try this mushroom goulash to see how he would like it. I loved it and he wasn’t so sure.
Probably because he is so used to the beef version. Next time I will do a mushroom and pepper goulash we will have to see how that one goes over. I think the only thing to add extra flavor to this would be a little rosemary or some marjoram.
Carrots would be great for extra texture in the dish and of course plenty of onion because it’s not goulash if it doesn’t have onion. There is so many goulashes around the world. Another goulash is this Czech Goulash.
What I love about this Mushroom Goulash is how it’s made in a dutch oven. I have the largest one and I am honestly thinking about getting a smaller one for easy lifting. The dutch oven is also nice for roasts.Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion; diced
- whole package of white mushrooms; sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to four tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (optional)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons cornstarch (depends on thickness)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon marjoram or rosemary for extra flavor (optional)
- Cook egg noodles as directed on the package.
- In a large pot, add olive oil, onions, and mushrooms. Saute until tender. Add in garlic and paprika. Stir well.
- Add in cornstarch and stir well. Pour in vegetable broth. Stir. add marjoram or rosemary if you would like. Cook until sauce thickens.
- Serve over noodles.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Czech