With Fat Tuesday coming soon this Mardi Gras Cinnamon Swirl Loaf is an easy cake loaf to make for breakfast or dessert. The fun colors of gold, green, and purple make the cinnamon cake loaf make it fun to serve.
Cake loaf is a bread loaf made from cake mix. Boxed cake mix for easy baking and serving. When making cake loaf lots of times I replace the oil with cinnamon applesauce for more flavor and better moisture.
When my grandmother make cake loaf or cake mix loaves she would use coffee instead of water for a rich flavor. She would say the coffee and applesauce makes the cake. The colors are just for fun.
To add the colors make the dough as you normally would then separate some of the dough into three bowls. Leave most of the dough for the loaf. Mix in the gold, purple, and green food gel colors. Food gel colors are more vibrant than traditional food coloring.
After mixing in the food gels to the dough you separated then add tops to the top of the dough in the loaf pan. Make sure to get different colors together this way they come out looking wild.
After adding all of the colors to the top of the loaf use a butter knife to swirl the colors. Place the knife into the loaf and make a figure eight. Be careful not to over swirl because the colors will blend.
Mardi Gras Cinnamon Swirl Loaf:
After baking the cake loaf be sure to let it cool on a rack before adding the icing. We let our mardi gras cinnamon swirl loaf cool for about ah hour and a half. Check the loaf for warmth with your hands. Once the loaf is cooled you won’t feel any warmth.
Once the loaf is fully cooled the icing can be added. Sometimes we add a tad of rum or some bailey’s to the icing for a tad more flavor. Here we should you the basics and if you read the notes of the recipe we explain how to add the liquor to the icing.Print
Cake mix for a mardi gras cinnamon swirl loaf.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 drops green food gel
- 2 drops purple food gel
- 2 drops yellow food gel
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 jar cream cheese icing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix cake mix as directed on the box. Separate about 1/3 cup into three bowls. This is for the coloring.
- In each bowl drop two drops of food gel. Stir well.
- Line baking loaf pan with parchment paper. Fill with white cake mix. Drop in other colors of the cake mix. Then do a figure eight to mix the colors on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for 1 hour.
- Use icing to ice the top of the cake loaf. Top with cinnamon. Slice and serve for mardi gras fun!
You can add two tablespoons of coconut rum or bailey’s irish cream to the icing for more flavor. You can also replace the oil with applesauce and water for coffee for a different flavor all together.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: Mardi Gras Cinnamon Swirl Loaf