My son’s 19th birthday was just last Friday. I wasn’t sure if he would be here or not. Luckily he was! Every year I battle with the fact that he doesn’t like cake and well I don’t like making giant cookies often. That was before I got my new Lodge skillet. However, I knew he would be much happier if it included ice cream and no cake. We were also looking for a gluten free option for my son’s best friend that I call my adopted son.
After much deliberation we figured out that Lucky Charms are gluten free and thought why not use the recipe I did for the Twinkie Forest Berry Ice Cream but mold it into a springform pan. I mean it should be a piece of cake right? It just takes about 5 minutes to put together. Had two hours sleep the night before, went to the airport, cooked brunch, made this Lucky Charms Ice Cream Cake, attended a football game and came home after to watch him blow his candles out. It was one very long day!
Unfortunately, all my candles were thrown out so I had to use a spaghetti noodle for his candles. Hey it worked! 😉 The only thing that counts is that he got a cake he loved with friends and family around him. The rest of the night he had fun with his friends and enjoying his beloved Xbox One. We finally got to catch up with each about everything while he was gone about three days later. He just seems to have the permanent smile lately. I think it has a bit to do with this cake! It’s not all the cake of course but I would super credit how many smiles and grabby hands were around when I went to serve it. It will definitely be on my to do list for any future parties. There is so many variations you can do with it too! The possibilities are endless. Do you have an idea of what you would use? Tell me below.
- 1 - 32oz heavy whipping cream
- 1 - 14oz sweetened condensed milk
- 5 cups Lucky Charms cereal
- In a stand mixer with whisk attachment fitted beat heavy cream for 4 minutes on a 2. Move it up every 2 minutes until you reach the 10. Once the heavy cream looks like whipped topping stop the mixer.
- Pour in sweetened condensed milk and fold until smooth.
- Put 2½ cups Lucky Charms cereal at the bottom of the springform pan. Pour in the whipped mixture. Top with the rest of the Lucky Charms.
- Freeze cake for 3 hours or until firm. Lightly heat the edge of the pan with warm water being careful not to wet the cake. Pop the springform lever open and remove. Slice with a warm knife and serve.