We recently went for a dip in the weather here. It seems to be like that across most of the states. When we get those 17 degree weather days my body screams at me it is time for SOUP! It’s like it knows my body and the rest of those that are in my house need it to stay healthy. Bone broth, vegetables, and garlic are all natural flu and sickness fighters. This Italian Spinach Orzo soup is made in a slow cooker or crockpot with bone broth that is slow cooked from chicken then adding in vegetables including spinach for a tasty soup!
The hubby and I were talking over stock broth you can buy in the store or making bone broth. I told him why spend the extra money when all you have to do is put the chicken bones and all into a crockpot with spices and let it slow cook. The chicken will come off the bone and the broth is amazing. Sometimes I do this for my broth to add to a soup on the stove or I just add everything I want the crockpot once the chicken is falling off the bone.
It’s so warming and all the vegetables in this makes it so healthy. I enjoyed this but don’t leave the crock pot on too long or those orzo become be lofty pasta that becomes mushy. Yuck! Glad the weather is warming up a little this week though. Long days ahead! Plenty of work this week and some tasty recipes coming this week and next! I am so excited to share a new recipe this week with you that I’ve been working on for awhile. Hopefully, soon I will have news on the upcoming ebook. What would you like to see in an ebook from me?Print
Made from a bone broth with chicken, vegetables, and spices.
- 5 chicken legs
- 3 small sweet bell peppers
- 3 carrots
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 celery
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt; add more as needed
- 1 teaspoon pepper; add more as needed
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can dice tomatoes or 3 roma tomatoes; diced
- In a crockpot, place chicken and cover with water. Turn to high heat.
- Add in garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. Toss in the carrots and celery whole. Add in sliced round sweet peppers. Cook for about 4 hours until chicken is coming off the bone.
- Pull chicken from the bones and add it back to the pot. Be sure to scan soup for any bones. Remove carrots and celery and smash with a fork. Replace back into the pot. Cook on low for about another hour.
- Add in tomatoes and orzo. Cook on low until pasta is soft. Once the pasta is soft add in spinach. Stir in spinach and serve.
For gluten free remove pasta or use gluten free.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!