Mardi Gras time is here. The last day which is Fat Tuesday is February 25th this year. That means in my home all things Mardi Gras are a plenty. From wreaths and gnomes to big pots of Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice. The purple, green, and gold are a plenty.
In 2020, Mardi Gras Day is February 25. Fat Tuesday is the last day of the Carnival season as it always falls the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. This is usually the most popular time to visit the French Quarter which is the weekend before when the parades run.
One of the reasons I love my instant pot duo plus 9 in 1 is that it’s makes cooking red beans and rice super simple. I don’t have to stand at the stove stirring and watching. Just pop it all into the instant pot and go about your business.
I will admit that I don’t cook the rice inside my instant pot. We just do it on the stove since you really don’t have to stand over it. Add the water and rice. Bring to a boil. Then turn to low. 25 minutes later you have cooked rice.
But you definitely can cook the rice in your instant pot. Inside the instant pot manual that comes with the pot is defined times on cooking different types of rice. These are what we recommend when making rice.
The Heat – Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice:
Changing how spicy you’d like the red beans and rice is as simple as adding more or less of the cayenne pepper and the jalapenos. I made this recipe quite mild however, you can make it spicier with more jalapeno and cayenne. Our family added more cayenne to the bowl.
Cook this the way it is and have people add more heat to their own bowl is the best way. I found that way if they want it mild the beans are good and if they want it hot they can add more cayenne pepper to the bowl.
This recipe is great to make along side a low country boil. The red beans are also fantastic for potlucks, work lunches, and family reunions. It’s a filling dish for those that love something a bit more cultured. Check out our other instant pot recipes.
Not everyone likes sausage and especially andouille sausage. If you don’t want to do andouille then feel free to use a normal brat. We used andouille but ours was a little less seasoned than normal. Just know that you can switch it out if you like. Some even use hot italian sausage. We’re all different!Print
Red beans with ham and rice cooked in the instant pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion; diced
- 2 andouille sausages
- 3 celery stalks; chopped
- 2 bell pepper; chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic; minced
- 1 jalapeno; de-seeded and diced
- 1 lb kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups ham; diced small
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (this can easily be altered for the heat)
- 1 – 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water (for 6 quart instant pot)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 cup Precooked Rice
- Presoak beans for 4 hours. If you don’t want to presoak the beans then cook time in pot should be 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes depending on elevation and humidity. This is for a 6 quart instant pot.
- Set pot to saute mode. Add olive oil. Add diced onion and stir. Add in sausage and brown on both sides.
- Add in bell pepper, jalapeno, and celery cook for about 3 minutes. Turn off saute mode. Add in ham, beans, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Add in chicken broth (or broth of choice) and water. Stir well. Place lid on the pot. Set valve to sealed. Click pressure cook (some models it’s manual) and set to 45 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting release the pressure.
- Remove sausage and chop. Place back into the pot and stir well. Taste test to see if it needs more salt or heat. Taste test beans if you didn’t pre soak. If beans are still hard then reset pot and add more time. If you presoaked they should definitely be done in 45 minutes.
- Rice may be precooked in your instant pot or you can cook on the stove.
- Fill a bowl with red beans and top with a ice cream scoop of rice.
You can switch out the sausage. See post for more details.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice