I love doing take out on the stove but sometimes I don’t have an hour to cook it all. Insert instant pot and cut that time into a third. That makes it easy and allows a recipe like this Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken to stay warm for everyone through out the evening.
Just last night when I made this recipe for the family I posted the recipe on my snapchat. My daughter sent me a reply to my snap with a “Is there more of that at home?” She was at color guard practice. That inspired me to think up a few more recipes similar to this that I already make but usually on the stove.
Chinese or Asian style recipe would probably be one of my favorite things to cook. However, then there would be Czech food which I adore too. My thoughts have danced around the idea of doing Czech dishes in the instant pot/pressure cooker. The reason I think that they would work is how tender the meat should be.
That doesn’t always mean it would work though. Things like gulas slow cook over several hours to come out with the flavors it does I am not sure the same can be replicated in the instant pot. Guess that means it’s time to give it a try. Just like this Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken I believe that the chicken great but does come apart easily rather than the chunks you might be used to in traditional take out.
Regardless, it’s super tender and just as tasty as when I do it on the stove. In fact, the chicken comes out a lot more tender in the instant pot over the stove version. I guess sometime I will have to post the stove top version for those of you that haven’t taken the instant pot/pressure cooker plunge yet. Also, if you need a good rice recipe for the instant pot try this one – perfect instant pot rice.
Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
Yield 6 Servings
- 3 zucchini; sliced in quarters
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast strips; cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers; diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup raw peanuts
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce ( you can use light if needed)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 whole chili peppers; optional
- In the instant pot, add in chicken with salt and pepper. Lock instant pot in place and set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Let natural pressure release.
- Cut red peppers and zucchini. Turn instant pot on saute mode. Add red peppers and zucchini to the pot. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until zucchini and red peppers are tender but still a tad crisp.
- Add in raw peanuts and stir well.
- Mix cornstarch, soy sauce, raw honey, hoisin sauce, garlic, and ginger in a large liquid measuring cup. Whisk well. Add in crush red pepper. Whisk well.
- Fold in sauce over chicken in the instant pot. Cook 1 to 2 minutes and set heat to keep warm.
- Add whole chili peppers for look if needed.
- Serve with jasmine rice.
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!