Ham with carrots, onions, celery and potatoes. Made in the instant pot for easy cooking and a good budget friendly recipe. Instant Pot Ham Potato soup is wonderful for lunches and even weeknight dinners.
With cozy weather just around the corner good instant pot soups should be in your arsenal. Creamy potato soup in the instant pot is easy as long as you don’t add the cream or milk in during the pressure process.
Milk After Pressure Process:
The milk or heavy cream for the soup needs to be added after the pressure cooking process. The reason the milk is added after is when you pressure milk it will come through the valve and make a mess. Hence it’s best to stir this in on saute mode after the pressure process.
Add the vegetables to the instant pot on saute mode. This allows the vegetables to sweat a little before pressurizing the soup. After all the potatoes will cook during the pressure process.
This instant pot ham potato soup recipe comes with ham used from farmland. It’s a pre-cut diced ham in a 1 lb package. However, left over ham can be used by dicing it into small cubes.
What Broth Do I Use?
Lastly, add the potatoes to the pot then pour over the broth and water. If you want a strong soup only broth can be used although, I do suggest using water. I also like to use chicken broth but if I have someone who is vegetarian over or serving to a crowd I used vegetable broth.
Additionally when I have guests over that are vegetarian I leave out the ham. Just add some fresh rosemary in place to give it more of a herb style soup feel rather than ham flavor. Which makes this instant pot soup great for parties and potlucks alike.
Do you like making soups in the instant pot? If so, check out a few more great instant pot soups below. Also, below there is a how to video on how to make this soup if you need more visual instruction.
Great Instant Pot Soups:Print
Ham and potatoes made in the instant pot into a creamy soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion; diced
- 2 celery stocks; diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 15 baby carrots; diced
- 1/2 pound diced ham
- 5 to 7 red potatoes; peeled and diced (see notes for more details)
- 1 – 28 oz chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black cracked pepper
- 1/2 to 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Add olive oil into the pot. Add in onions and garlic. Set to saute mode. Toss in carrots and celery. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Turn off saute mode. Add in potatoes and ham. Pour in chicken broth and water. Place lid on pot and set valve to sealed positions. Press manual or pressure cook button and set time to 8 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting release the pressure from the valve.
- Slowly stir in heavy cream. If you want the soup thick then add cornstarch to the heavy cream before adding it to the soup. Add in salt and pepper and stir well. Serve!
If you want a thick soup then use less water and just barely cover the ingredients. Use the heavy cream and if you need it thicker then add in cornstarch mixed with a little water. Turn on saute mode to thicken. Red potatoes range in size so adjust your amount of potatoes to the size of what is needed.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot, Potato, Soup, Ham