You probably should know that I am totally obsessed with soups. Really, I am not kidding! One day I thought why don’t I open a restaurant for only soups (okay maybe some salads). But really this was an idea I had with soups from around the globe. Then, I remembered how much I hated working in restaurants.
Which is why I am happy I run a blog to share with all of you but don’t have to cook every single day. This Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde would be my representation of the southern part of the world. Normally this comes with pork but on rare occasions you can find chicken chile verde on the menu at a hole in the wall place around here.
About The Peppers
This recipe is one that can be created in many different ways with the types of peppers that can be used. When it comes to chicken chile verde I like to use anaheim peppers. They just have the right flavor for the verde. Additionally, I like to use serrano peppers over jalapeno peppers. Jalapeno’s have a tendency to not be as spicy as I need them to be. That’s why two serrano peppers do the trick every time. I use them in my slow cooked beans too!
Dressing up your soup is easy too! I top it with cilantro and onion. You can easily add cojita cheese or queso fresco. Just a few crumbles would do the trick. With a splash of maggi this soup really will warm your soul on those cold winter nights. Make it with chicken or make it without and just toss in rotisserie chicken.
When cooking without the chicken in it not only does it cut down on time to cook but on cost. Sometimes it is just a tad cheaper to buy the chicken already cooked rather than raw. In those cases we buy the rotisserie chicken and just toss it in after we pressure cook the peppers and onions. Just immersion blend them and add chicken. I hope you enjoy this soup!Print
- 2 anaheim peppers; de-seeded and ribs removed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 serrano peppers; de-seeded and ribs removed
- 1 – 32oz chicken broth
- 1 white onion; sliced into rounds
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (read notes to sub with rotisserie chicken)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bundle cilantro
- 6 tomatillos; quartered
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 4 drops of maggi (optional)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 red onion; diced for garnish
- Please read notes for recipe using rotisserie chicken.
- In your instant pot or pressure cooker add in chicken, white onion, diced peppers, diced serrano peppers, quartered tomatillos, and garlic.
- Pour in chicken broth and add water to just cover the ingredients.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, and maggi.
- Set to high pressure and set timer to 20 minutes. Let natural pressure release.
- Once the pressure has released. Remove the chicken and immersion blend the soup. If you have a non stick pressure cooker then remove soup to a bowl and blend then add back to the pot. Shred chicken and add back to the soup.
- Add a third cup of water to a bowl and 3/4 of the bundle of cilantro. Immersion blend. Pour this into the soup.
- Use extra cilantro and red onion to garnish.
For rotisserie chicken add everything but the chicken to the instant pot or pressure cooker. Cook for 10 minutes and then immersion blend. Add cilantro mixture. Add rotisserie chicken (cooked) to the soup and garnish.
You may also garnish with cojita cheese or queso fresco.
Keywords: Instant Pot, Chicken, Chile
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!