Fall is in the air. Sweater Weather is almost here. How do we know? Because high school football has started and it’s time for those Friday Night Lights! I bring you some Football Yard Line Cupcakes! Last night I spent some time chaperoning for my daughter’s color guard team. It’s always so amazing to see the work these girls put into the show they do with the band.
Sometimes I feel that most people don’t even notice the band and color guard at football games. I think they should take a second and think what a football game would be like without the band there. Pretty quiet right? NO “Sweet Caroline” not a single school spirit song. Not even the national anthem without the band.
Oh and what about that half time performance that they spend months in the grueling summer heat to practice only to get 8 minutes of your attention on the field. Those kids are awesome! ON every single level. The next time you don’t feel like going to work think of this. Friday morning by 7 am they are there at school.
Do a entire school day, practice 3 hours, break for a 20 minute dinner, load up equipment, get dressed for performance, and then on to the field where they stay peppy supporting the football players until end game time. That’s a pretty long work day. The most complaint you get is “I’m tired”.
Furthermore, football players and cheerleaders take a moment and thank the band that helps make that wonderful Friday Night Lights feeling you get every time you think of football season. You don’t have to be some super fancy cake decorator to make these cupcakes. All you need is some box mix, a jar of icing, and a plastic sandwich bag.
Football Yard Line Cupcakes
Yield 12 - 18 Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix
- 1 container icing
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 plastic sandwich bag
- foil cupcake liners
- Bake cake mix in cupcake liners as directed on box. Let cool.
- Remove half the container of icing to a bowl. Add in green food coloring and mix.
- Frost cupcakes with green icing.
- Place white icing in sandwich bag and seal. Cut one end of the bottom of the sandwich bag. Use this end to pipe long lines down the center of the cupcakes. On right side of the line place a 0. One the left side of the line in variation place 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!