Meatballs baked and then rolled in a firecracker sauce. Slow cooker version available in notes.
- For Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef 80/20
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 3 cloves of garlic; grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger; grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 spring onion stalks; scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic; grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger; grated
- 1 spring onion stalk; scallions chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons El Yucateco Red Habanero Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add in bread crumbs, meat, ginger, garlic, spring onions, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Drizzle olive oil into the bottom of a baking dish. Roll meat in balls and place in baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes until meat is done.
- While meat is cooking make the sauce. In a small bowl, mix together ginger, garlic, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and hot sauce. Whisk well.
- Pour into a small sauce pan on low heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Chop spring onion and set aside the onion part. Keep the chive top.
- Remove sauce from heat and pour into heat safe bowl. Add crushed red pepper to sauce.
- Roll meat balls in the sauce and place on a plate. Sprinkle with chives and insert toothpicks. Serve!
For crockpot (slow cooker) just cooked the meatballs on low for 4 hours until meatballs are done then add sauce and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American