This crispy beef tacos recipe I’ve been making for at least a decade. It’s our simple go to Taco Tuesday meal. This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to come together. Pretty budget friendly since you don’t use lettuce or tomato. The beef calls for seasoning and salsa.
These crispy beef tacos were easy when my kids were little to make. They wouldn’t eat the onions then but they do now. So if you have a picky eater just leave the onions off. The ground beef in this recipe is especially tasty.
The ground beef is sauteed with onion then tossed with taco seasoning. A packet of seasoning can be used however, so can various spices. Paprika, cumin, cayenne, and chili powder make a great taco seasoning.
Once the beef is browned and the seasoning added we like to add a cup of our favorite salsa. This omits the need for tomatoes. The salsa helps to flavor the beef and keep it moist. The salsa has plenty of salt so we don’t add much. If your using a seasoning packet there is no need for salt.
Frying The Shells
When frying the taco shells I put the oil on the stove while cooking the meat. Turn the meat to low once cooked and start frying the shells. First, add the corn tortilla to the hot oil (be careful not burn yourself) then once it bubbles flip. I like to use metal tongs so I have length from the grease bubbles.
After flipping the tortilla fold it and fry on each side until desired crispness. The beef tacos are then filled with the meat, cheese, and onions. Additional toppings could be sour cream or guacamole. These shells are great for crispy chicken tacos or crispy fish tacos too!
Tacos are perfect for gatherings as the ground beef recipe be can be easily doubled. Make a taco bar for a birthday party or wedding. Tacos are simple and just about everyone loves them!Print
Ground beef sauteed and placed on a crispy taco shell.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/3 cup white onion; diced (whole onion)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (look to notes)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- In a skillet, add olive oil, ground beef, and half of the diced onion. Cook on medium high heat. Cooked until meat is browned.
- Add in taco seasoning and stir well. Add one cup of salsa. Stir well. Set to low heat.
- In a separate small frying pan add the oil. Bring to a medium heat. Add in the tortilla and wait till it bubbles. Flip and frying for about 30 seconds. Bend taco in half and fry each side until it’s at the desired crispness.
- Drain oil off the shell and place on a dish.
- Fill with ground beef, cheese, and any additional toppings. Serve.
To make your own taco seasoning use this:
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Crispy Beef Tacos
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!