Easter is just around the corner! With plenty of people telling me that carrot cake is one of their Easter favorites it was time to create an Carrot Cake Cupcake. These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are made from scratch and topped with a cream cheese icing that doesn’t have butter.
That’s right these carrot cake cupcakes are made without butter in the icing. There is just no need for it. With the right consistency of sugar and cream cheese the icing is fantastic.
This cupcake recipe is from scratch. We used fresh carrots and grated them finely on a microplane grater. While a food processor can be used the carrots will juice out and make the batter to moist. Instead, we like to grate the carrots. Little more effort for a tasty cupcake.
Although this recipe is from scratch it is an easy carrot cake cupcake recipe. This recipe for delicious cupcakes makes 24 cupcakes. It’s perfect for a picnic or potluck. Additionally, it’s fantastic for parties and even Easter entertaining.
Make Ahead Carrot Cake Cupcakes:
The cupcakes can be made ahead of time. The icing can also be made in advance. Place the icing in a pastry bag and put in the fridge a day ahead to use when ready. As for the cupcakes they can sit at room temperature but if you have room in the fridge pop them in there too it won’t hurt.
The liners I used I found at Joann’s however, these cupcake liners are just as adorable. We love to serve these on a wood board or white cake stand at events. They really are delicious and different than your common cupcake!Print
Carrot Cake Cupcakes for Easter.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 medium/large carrots; grated
- 2 packages cream cheese
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 24 count muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, applesauce, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined. Add dry ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in carrots.
- Divide batter evenly among 24 muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a stand mixer add cream cheese and 1 tablespoon water. Place on low speed until cream cheese is smooth. Slowly add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time with paddle attachment. Once the sugar is all added speed up mixer to medium. Once the cream cheese icing is thick and stands on it’s own its ready.
- If it doesn’t stand on it’s own add more sugar.
- Place into a piping bag with star tip. Ice cupcakes. Keep refrigerated after icing.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easter Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!