Spent most of my childhood surfing and eating any kind of vegetable or fruit that came off the road side vendors in California. This salad brings very fond memories of my grandmother. Oh how she loved to just put everything with pasta. I especially loved Cali Spaghetti Salad because of the little tomatoes and the mouthful of avocado. I just can never get enough avocado.
Really miss the beach. I really hope one day when the daughter graduates I can find a nice little house or cool place to build a house out of next to the beach. Maybe not on it since my husband says he doesn’t like the beach. Then of course depending on where you go there is hurricanes. But you know one of those cute cottage beach houses with all kinds of lighthouses and sea shells.
I could even go for living in a lighthouse or next to one! That would be so cool if it was red and black with that scenery that is just simply beautiful. I’ve always had a connection to the water. It’s a comfort zone. Some people it’s trees or the forest. Some people it’s water and wind. I’d like to say that I’m the water and wind type. My husband loves water. He just says he doesn’t like the beach. Maybe more he fears what’s in it.
When you grow up near the beach you get this extra education you don’t get growing up in Texas (which has scary lakes). The education is classes where marine biologists come to the classroom to teach you about sharks and whales. We would learn all about them. How to respect their habitat. Especially how to be safe in or around water. I love that I had the chance to learn that. One day I hope to live there again. Maybe I can teach my family about that way of life. It’s truly a certain type of culture.
When you try this recipe think of eating it out of a jar on the beach. What a fresh way to enjoy Cali Spaghetti Salad. But if you don’t have a beach near you just pack it in a jar for lunch or take it on your next picnic. This also is fantastic for potlucks. It make a bundle!
CALI SPAGHETTI SALAD
Yield 6 - 8 Servings
Spaghetti with fresh vegetables and fruit to make a beautiful Cali Spaghetti Salad.
- 1lb thin spaghetti
- 1 green bell pepper; diced
- 2 avocados; diced
- ½ red bell pepper; diced
- 15 orange cherry tomatos; sliced in halves
- 1 cucumber; diced
- 1 - 2.28 oz can black olives; drained
- 2 tablespoon pepperoncini's; diced
- 1 bottle Zesty Italian dressing
- ¼ teaspoon black cracked pepper
- Boil pasta as directed on package. Strain. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, add in diced green peppers, diced red peppers, sliced orange tomatoes, diced cucumber, and black olives. Toss. Add in avocado and pepperoncini's.
- Add spaghetti to bowl with vegetables and fruit. Pour italian dressing over mixture. Add in cracked black pepper. Toss well.
- Put in fridge for about an hour then serve.
Courses Side Dish
Photographer, Writer, Traveler, Food Courtesan, Dog Devoted, Movie Enthusiast!