Ever since the new revelation of salads in a jar on Pinterest, I have been dead set on making different salads to go in jars and eat through out the week for lunch. Trying to talk the teenage boys in my house into taking them to school for lunch rather then a PB&J. I love to use what is in season. For a cheat sheet to see what is in season before going to the store monthly have a look at Food Network’s Produce Guide. It helps with ideas and what to buy that should be fresh.
What’s great about the jar is it keeps the salad fresh longer. I have many variations of these salads and you can get just as creative. Have a look at my Green Salad for another salad that can go into the jar. Soon I hope to add more salad recipes for healthy lunches. If you come up with one please feel free to put a link in the comments as I would love to try it out!
- Half of a red onion; sliced in rounds and halved
- 1 cucumber; peeled and quartered
- 1 avocado; peeled and sliced
- 1 vipe ripe tomato; sliced and quartered
- 4 small sweet orange peppers (bell); de-seeded and sliced into rounds
- Italian dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 glass jar with lid
- In a medium bowl, add all your sliced fruits and vegetables. Drizzle with Italian dressing to your preferred amount. Salt and pepper and toss. Add to glass jar and seal tightly. Store in fridge for up to a week.