My son, Chance, told me he was tired of the same old food. With the next Summer Fest for the FN Dish coming up; I thought why not come up with something different! While looking for inspiration, I came across these little bad boys, Sunburst Tomatoes. I just love the color! Color in a dish means so much!
Those colors scream Fall is coming, but Summer is yet still here. Some days your just looking for quick and easy meal, without the overload of ingredients, this dish is it! Creamy Parmesan sauce with bursting tomatoes and spunky aromatic spring onions; it is a super food dish! Oh, did I mention the left over ham? Yes, just keep your left over ham from any occasion and toss right in. You can always substitute the ham for bacon if you would like. Not sure if my son ended up liking the dish but I know my grandmother fell in love with it! (she’s picky).
- 2 packages sun burst tomatoes (sliced in halves)
- 1 bundle spring onions (chopped)
- 1/2 lb of chopped ham (precooked; cubed)
- 1lb spaghetti, angel hair, or pasta of your choice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups Parmesan or Romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Fill a large pot with water, olive oil, and salt; bring to a boil. While you are waiting for the water to boil; slice the sun burst tomatoes in halves. Chop the spring onions. Use both the chives and whites. Add them to a large bowl.
- In a large sauce pot add in two cups of heavy whipping cream and bring to a low boil. Then add in Parmesan (or romano) cheese to the cream. Stir till slightly melted, add in ham till warmed, salt and pepper to taste, and remove from heat.
- Remove, strain, and rinse pasta. Add it to the large bowl and top with sauce. Toss lightly in bowl and serve.
This post is part of Food Network’s Summer Fest! Check out the other great tomato dishes below.
Summer Fest is a season long, bi-weekly event where Food Network editors team up with blogs to share tips and recipes about what’s available at the market.
Big Girls Small Kitchen: Seared Chicken with Cherry Tomato Pan Sauce
Haute Apple Pie: Heirloom Tomato & Three Cheese Tart
What’s Gaby Cooking: Zebra Tomato and Burrata Crostini
Zaika Zabardast: Balsamic Roasted Tomato-Basil Ice
And Love It Too: Healthy Lunchbox – Garlic Tomato Basil Pesto Bruchetta
Chez Us: Roasted Tomato Sauce
Daily*Dishin: Refreshing and Rustic – Tuscan Bread Salad
Glory Foods: Fresh Tomato Salsa
Dishin and Dishes: Tomato Tart Tatin
The Purple Cook: Eggplant Parmesan Caprese Salad
I Am Mommy: Tomato Crudite
Cooking With My Kid: Gluten-Free White Bean Chive Cakes with Heirloom Tomatoes
FN Dish: Easy Tomato Appetizers
Add a Pinch: Simple Caprese Salad Skewers
Sweet Life Bake: Salsa Cruda
Virtually Homemade: Farfalle with Roasted Tomato Sauce, Bacon and Shaved Romano
Dixie Chik Cooks: Tomato, Basil and Olive Bruschetta
The Sensitive Epicure: Yemista – Greek Stuffed Tomatoes & Peppers with Potatoes
Mooshu Jenne: Sun Burst Tomato Pasta
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Book Club, Tomatoes and a Recipe for Chicken Provençal?
Cooking With Elise: Tomato Parmesan Biscuits
From My Corner of Saratoga: Cooking from the Garden – Bruschetta Pizza
Fritos and Foie Gras: Tomato Terrine
Creative Culinary: Fresh and Savory Tomato Pie
Big Apple Nosh: Caprese Salad/Tomato Carnage
Spices and Aroma: Quick and Easy Paneer Curry
Zaika Zabardast: Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Breakfast Rolls