I love participating in the Fall Fest FN Dish for Food Network. Don’t forget to take a moment and stop by the other links below.
Shepherd’s potato pie is a traditional dinner in my home in the month of October. Not only are the potatoes in season but the weather is suited for it. Just two days ago our temperatures dropped here. I get excited when the temps drop because I love to cook in colder weather and generally I just think food is more appealing the Fall and Winter months. People usually want to eat less in the hot Summer months. So without further ado, I give you my rendition of Shepherd’s pie.
- 10 russet potatoes (peeled, cubed)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- Wondra flour
- Salt & pepper
- 1 medium size block of cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 cup milk
- half a stick of butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot, add in water and potatoes. Bring the water to a boil and once potatoes are tender remove from heat. Strain out the water from the potatoes. With a hand mixer, add in butter, while whipping slowly add in milk. Keep blending til you get a creamy texture. Set pot aside.
- In a large skillet, add in ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook till meat is browned and onion is caramelized. Add in a little bit of Wondra flour a little at a time to soak up the juices. Add salt and pepper. You want to cook the flour taste out. Once the juices seem to be gone then pull your meat from the stove.
- Add meat to a large casserole baking dish. Open the can of corn and spread it over the meat. Add your potatoes over the corn and meat; spreading evenly. Topping with cheese spreading across the whole dish. Put in oven till cheese is melted and remove and serve.
Check out these other great recipes for potatoes at the FN Dish – Food Network.
Taste With The Eyes: Poached Salmon, Lobster Mash, Lentil Gumbo “Gravy”
And Love It Too: Twice Baked Potato – Paleo Style
What’s Gaby Cooking: Smashed Potatoes
From My Corner of Saratoga: Potato Canapes
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Chorizo and Potato Tacos
Cooking Channel: Cozy Up With In Season Potatoes
FN Dish: Best Potato Casserole Recipes
Cooking With Elise: The Irish Boxty
CIA Dropout: Potato and Leek Soup
The Sensitive Epicure: Potatoes Anna With Fresh Thyme and Truffle Salt
Glory Foods: Chicken Smashed Potatoes
Daily*Dishin: Creamy Loaded Potato Casserole
Virtually Vegan Mama: Baked Cinnamon Spiced Sweet Potato Fries