The lovely team at OXO sent me a Cherry Pitter to test out. I am already bias to OXO tools since everything I have tested is wonderful! The cherry pitter is simple to use even for my left handed daughter who is 12. She was excited to use the new tool and insists that I buy all OXO tools for her to use in the kitchen because it is difficult for her with most kitchen gadgets. As you can see below it pops out the seed and has a splatter proof shield.
Here she is using the cherry pitter to pit the rainier cherries for this rainier cherry ricotta cobbler recipe.
In addition to the cherry pitter, OXO is running a recipe contest which will be judged by creativity, taste, and presentation. Below is my recipe for Rainier Cherry Ricotta Cobbler in which I am entering into the OXO Cherry Recipe Contest. The ricotta acts as an ice cream in this dish and it is topped with a crumble crust regularly featured on cobblers with a fresh topping of Rainier cherries that have been tossed lightly in honey added to the top with more honey drizzled over the entire dish.
I hope you all enjoy this refreshing dessert in this relentless heat.
- 1 bag of Rainier Cherries (about two cups)
- 1 container of Ricotta (you will use half the container; about 2½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon (you may add more to taste)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 - 3 tablespoons margarine
- In a food processor, add ricotta, cinnamon, heavy cream, and sugar; blend well. Select the dish you plan to serve it in and layer in the ricotta mixture and freeze for about two hours until set.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, add brown sugar and flour; whisk well with fork. Adding one tablespoon at a time, whisk in margarine with a fork to make crumble granules. Be careful not to add to much margarine as you want the butter to create the granules rather then make it mushy. With your hand, drizzle the crumbles on to the cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Pull and let cool.
- Using a OXO cherry pitter or other pitter of choice, pit cherries and then slice them in halves. Toss with about two tablespoons of honey and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Pull the ricotta ice cream from the freezer and top with crumble crust. Lightly scoop Rainier cherries over the top of the crumble crust. Drizzle lightly with honey and serve.