When I was young my grandparents lived right in front of a Oscar Mayer factory. It always smelled like hot dogs. It has since been that one memory of food that I hold onto. To this day I am an Oscar Mayer girl. I don’t like other hot dogs at all. If I have the choice it’s Oscar Mayer every single time. I love the larger packages too. With my son he can certainly blow through like 10 hot dogs in a night. Though I think he likes the Mini Croque Monsieur sandwiches better.
When I saw the Selects Natural in the market I knew I had to take my son back a few years with these Mini Croque Monsieur sandwiches. When he was 10 I made these for him in the larger size. He would beg me to make them all the time. I think he just likes the ham and gooey cheese.
My bechamel sauce is pretty easy to make and takes far less time then you think. I love to add a bit of allspice for some extra aromatics to the sauce. I also make mine more like a roux a bit darker not as floury in taste. Then broil the sandwiches to complete them. I use different cheeses but I love swiss. It originated in French cafés and bars as a quick snack. Traditionally, Emmental, or Gruyère is used, optionally Comté cheese as well. Sometimes it’s hard to find those cheese so I opt out for swiss like I did in this recipe but you can use whatever you would like.
Oscar Mayer Selects Natural is available in five flavorful varieties including Slow Roasted Turkey, Applewood Smoked Turkey, Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken, Applewood Smoked Ham and Slow Roasted Roast Beef. The Applewood Smoked Ham is hands down my favorite. My husband loves it for midnight snacking.
What would you make with the Select Naturals? I’d love to hear your ideas below in the comments.
ITEMS TO MAKE MINI CROQUE MONSIEUR
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 whole allspice; crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices of ham
- 3 slices of swiss cheese
- 8 slices of baguette bread
- In a sauce pan add in butter and put to a low heat. Once butter is melted stir in the flour a teaspoon at a time so you don't get lumps. Use a wooden spoon and stir quickly. Do this until all flour is incorporated into the butter and you have a nice golden sauce. Add in pepper, salt, and allspice.
- On a baking sheet place four pieces of baguette bread and top with ham then cheese. Place the top slice of bread on top then top with another piece of cheese.
- Pour the sauce over each sandwich and broil until cheese is light brown and the cheese inside the sandwich is melted.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links by Amazon. If you purchase a product from one of our links, we could receive a commission from the seller. Rest assured, we only recommend products we believe in, and all opinions are 100% truthful.