We’re teaming up with fellow food bloggers to host a Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Join us here and share what you’re eating on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #brownbag.
This is a simple lunch recipe that you can use any reusable container. I generally make this and chill the night before allowing the dressing to set in. As a part of the Brown Bag Challenge I am trying to make something healthy and that is also inexpensive. I want people to know that it doesn’t cost or take as much time to bring lunch as it is to buy it premade. This recipe below will cost you less then $8. I can spend that on a sub sandwich at any local sub shop. The $8 for the recipe below will feed you over three days. When I made this at home I used it as a side for dinner then refrigerated the rest and took it for lunch the next day.
- 1 package grape tomatoes (sliced in halves)
- 2 cucumbers (sliced in quarters)
- 1 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
- One bunch of spring onions (chopped with chives)
- Half of a red onion (cut into rounds)
- 1/2 cup dressing of choice (I love Italian or French Vinaigrette)
- In a medium bowl, slice your cucumbers lengthwise in half and take those pieces and slice lengthwise in half again. Now group together cucumbers and slice into quarters.
- Put cucumbers in bowl. Add in your halved grape tomatoes. Add in your chopped spring onions. Add in the rounds of red onion. Toss with cheese and dressing. Chill for about an hour.
Organic Gardening’s This Imperfect Plot: Day 1 of the Challenge
Between City Limits: Brown Baggin’ It
Virtually Homemade: Mixed Greens and Nectarine Salad
Essentials of Nutrition: What I Bring Everyday
City Life Eats: Brown-Bag Challenge
The Brown Bag Chronicles: Lunch On-the-Go
Cooking Channel: Daily Lunch Box
Diary of a Fat Kid: Refrigerator Salad
Not Your Church Cookbook: Enough With the Urban Chickens (and a recipe for 2-Grain Apple Salad)
I Brown Bag: Brown-Bag Challenge, Days 1 and 2
Eat, Sweat, Smile: Leftovers No More
Healthy Kitschy Vegan: Cheater’s Curry
Healthy Plates: Pesto Penne Primavera
Boys n’ Berry: A Mad Dash for Leftovers
Adventures in my Kitchen: Brown-Bag Challenge, Day 1 (and a really cute Smurfs lunch box)
Nutritious Daily: Brown Bag: A Basic Ensemble
Chick Bike: Brown-Bag Challenge, Days 1 and 2
Brown Girl, Brown Bag: Fishing for Compliments
The Adirondack Chick: Brown-Bag Challenge, Week 1
Adventures in Every Day: Brown-Bagging It