Tropical Traditions sent me out a large jar of coconut oil, so my daughter and I sat thinking of what recipes we could use it in. Of course I went right to curries with fresh mango. My daughter on the other hand loves chow mein noodles and she mentioned how it would be cool to incorporate the coconut into a dish with chow mein. After suggestions of pineapple and mango we moved on to citrus. She hands down said lime. Next, it was time to head to the store and get a new wok! We brought the new wok home and decided to experiment. The recipe turned out wonderful! I am excited to share the recipe for coconut lime chicken chow mein with you below along with a giveaway!
The chicken look a little dry in the pictures because I photographed it the next day due to lighting. I need to get some lights and a tripod!
- 4 chicken breasts; 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 limes
- 2 packages of chow mein noodles
- soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- Bring medium pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken breast lengthwise three times and then cut into 1/2 inch cubes by cutting across. In a wok, add coconut oil and chicken. Squeeze two limes over the chicken and drizzle a little soy sauce over the top; salt and pepper. Cook till chicken is done. Drain wok from the liquid and drizzle a little more soy over the chicken to brown a glaze to the chicken. Remove chicken to a bowl with lid to keep warm.
- Boil noodles for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and stir fry in wok with soy sauce and olive oil (you may use coconut oil for more coconut flavor). Stir fry for a few minutes until noodles are sticky and coated. You will cook the noodles in increments not all at once. Remove noodles to bowl after stir frying in batches.
- Toss chicken with noodles. You can add spring onions if you would like at this point. Squeeze one lime over chicken and noodles. Use remaining lime to serve on the side of the bowl.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Win 1 quart of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil!
Tropical Traditions is America’s source for coconut oil. Their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is hand crafted in small batches by family producers, and it is the highest quality coconut oil they offer. You can read more about how virgin coconut oil is different from other coconut oils on their website: What is Virgin Coconut Oil?
You can also watch the video they produced about Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil:
Tropical Traditions also carries other varieties of affordable high quality coconut oil. Visit their website to check on current sales, to learn about the many uses of coconut oil, and to read about all the advantages of buying coconut oil online. Since the FDA does not want us to discuss the health benefits of coconut oil on a page where it is being sold or given away, here is the best website to read about the health benefits of coconut oil.
Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.