Anytime that blogging can be used for a good cause, I’m definitely in! September happens to be Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, and the folks at OXO are gearing up for their annual program Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. I’m helping with my Apple Cider Caramel cookies.
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a wonderful program which makes it possible to easily get involved in fundraising to find a cure for pediatric cancer. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to participate.
In 2013, OXO will donate up to $100,000 to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer through specially marked baking tools, bake sale matches and other fundraising efforts. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a recognized 501c(3) public charity duly incorporated under the laws of the state of New Jersey. Your donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowable by law. 100% of proceeds raised by Cookies for Kids’ Cancer fund pediatric cancer research.
For every specially marked item sold, OXO will donate 25 cents in support of pediatric cancer research as part of its $100,000* pledge to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. (Look for specially marked OXO products at participating retailers.)
For my cookie post, I chose a recipe meant for Fall. These cookies put the F in Fall with their gooey caramel centers. Chunks of fresh granny apples and cider flavor make it the perfect cookie to serve up at your next pumpkin carving gathering.
Learn how to host a Cookies for Kids’ Cancer fundraiser HERE!
So without further ado, here is the recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 granny smith apple; diced
- 1 bag of caramels
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In your stand mixer bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until fully combined; to aerate.
- Melt butter completely in a microwave safe bowl.Add the brown sugar, white sugar, and melted butter. Mix in apple cider and eggs. Fold in the diced apple chunks.
- Roll the cookies into 1/2 balls with half a caramel candy piece in the center and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. These cookies spread a lot. You want to make sure to make the cookie balls small. Place a 1/2 dozen to a sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the edges are a light golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then remove with OXO cookie spatula to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.